A walking trail in Sturbridge, Massachusetts

The Trustees’ Tantiusques Reservation

About

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Tantiusques Reservation is an outdoor excursion and history lesson rolled into one. The reservation was once a great source of graphite and was mined for centuries by the native Nipmuc tribe and local English colonists until it was abandoned in the late 1800’s. Today, hikers can still see an open mine shaft and partially-filled mine cut, the only remnants of New England’s first-ever mining operation.